Thursday, July 7, 2011

Kindergartners have it made

As I walked through Wal-Mart yesterday, a splash of color caught my eye, and I felt a thrill deep within my cerebral cortex.

Guess what time of year it is, friends.

It's Back to School time! Which means stores have put out all of their lustrous school supplies.

I think it goes hand in hand with being a writer, but I am hopelessly addicted to school and office supplies. Notebooks, pens, colored pencils, crayons, markers, folders, binders, divider tabs, note cards, glue, scissors, rulers, sticky notes, legal pads, pencil boxes, backpacks, even the little boxes of watercolor paints: I am held in thrall by all of it.

So, due to the culmination of Back to School sales and my Creativity Constipation, the Writing Buddy and I are meeting this weekend to regress into kindergartners. We're going to bust out all of our school and writing supplies to brainstorm and outline and make an artistic mess. She and I are both in that dark space between projects, so this is exactly the retreat we need to revitalize our muses. It should be wonderful chaos. I'll try to remember to take a couple of pictures so you all can share in the madness.


 In other news, I've decided to postpone my trip to Camp Nanowrimo until next month. My main goal now is to finish transcribing Rift, and since it's not new I can't use it for word count. By the time August 1st rolls around, I should have a better idea what project I want to go camping with.

To offset the left brain task of transcribing (although the right brain keeps popping in to "help," which just draws out the painful process), I've decided I want to do some flash fiction pieces. I've never done flash fiction before, so I thought I'd try it out.

I haven't decided how I'm going to go about it yet. I'm thinking that I will either 1) use the random image generator on Digital Blasphemy and write whatever the image inspires or 2) work on the Scavengers serial I've been planning for awhile, which will lend itself nicely to this format since I want to keep the scenes short.  I probably need to do some research on how it's actually supposed to work, though, before I jump into it.

As a sidebar, Digital Blasphemy is a ridiculously cool website. He rotates several of his wallpapers into his free gallery, but I was using them so much that I finally paid the membership fee. Totally worth it if you're like me and often find yourself making up stories based on pictures. Sometimes he offers membership discounts around holidays, so watch for that if you're interested.

Wish me luck this weekend. Hopefully I'll come back refreshed and ready to write!

No comments:

Post a Comment