Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

I've been struggling all day for the topic of today's blog, and while I contemplated all of the possible subjects, I realized that none of them felt quite right.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. I've been pretty anti-holiday this year - mostly because I went overboard on holidays last year for various reasons - so I haven't thought much about the meanings behind them lately. They've all seemed like selfish or silly or commercial celebrations. I'm even soured on Christmas already and it's not even December.

But Thanksgiving is different. I know the true reason behind the day is the conquering of the native peoples, but I think the idea behind it is a profound one:

Be thankful for what you have.

People in our capitalist society always seem to want the next new thing - electronics, clothes, cars - but I've come to realize over the past year that those things are all just status symbols. Do we really need all of those trappings to be happy?

The answer is no. Friends. Family. Doing the things you love. Those are the things that make you happy. And for the most part, those important things don't cost money.

So tomorrow, as I sit down to our Thanksgiving feast, I am going to take a minute to count my blessings. And I am going to take that warm feeling and infuse it into the rest of my life.

I am thankful for my health. I'm thankful to have a good job. I'm thankful for little things like a wonderful cup of coffee or a fabulous glass of wine.

I'm thankful for my amazing friends. Those close friends who are the family that I chose, not the one I was born into.

I am so thankful for my family - my brother and sister are amazing people, my Dad has always been supportive and loving, and my aunts and uncles and grandma and grandpa and my cousins.

And I am so thankful for my writing group. These people have helped me realize that I can do this writing thing. Their support and encouragement has been the most amazing thing I've experienced this year.

Because I've also realized that I am finally doing what I love. I am writing. It's the smallest thing, sitting down every night to record the stories in my head, but I love it. Even the days I hate it, I love it. I've challenged myself more this year as far as writing than I have my entire life, and I met every challenge I set for myself. It feels right. It feels like I have finally answered some question about myself that I've been asking all my life.

I am so thankful for everyone who helped an encouraged me to follow my dream. I have a long way to go before I am successful at it, but I've been living my dream every day for the last year. Even if I never publish a book, the time I've spent writing and the time I've spent with my writing friends has been beyond worth it.

The invaluable things are the biggest things I am thankful for.

Thank you friends, family, and readers. I hope you have a fabulous Thanksgiving. Count your blessings, eat, drink, and be merry.

1 comment:

  1. I love you so much, Sara, and I am thankful every day for you and everything you bring into my life, making me a better person!

    ReplyDelete