Friday, February 12, 2016

February Update: My overflowing plate

Things have really picked up since my last update. I made it through developmental edits for Monsters of Lawrence. It's currently on the cooling rack before I do one final pass. And then I will start submitting it. So I need to research publishers and agents and figure out how to write a query letter and synopsis.

But my editing load has also picked up, so I'm not sure when I'll do that. I have a short story and a novel coming from Rachel, Kevin's debut novel, beta reads for two friends, and a new client starting in June.

In there, I have a work trip to Portland for the ACES conference, ConQuest, and an audition for Listen to Your Mother.

http://www.hawkin.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/E19844_800.jpgI have an overflowing plate.

On top of it all, I've been trying to make headway on Towers of Kansas, the sequel to Monsters of Lawrence (and the second book in Diana's trilogy). I wrote a new beginning for it, reorganized scenes and rewrote some more, and then tore it apart and reorganized it again. I'm still not sure the scenes are in the right order, but I have it pretty close, I think. It's like one of those slide number puzzles. Every time you move one of the tiles, it changes where all of the rest of them are. But I've got it close enough that I think I can start writing forward now. I've added around 8,000 words to it, although I've also taken away at least a couple thousand.

But I feel like it might have to take back burner while I make it through my paying editing jobs. Which, don't get me wrong, I'm excited about. But it's also hard, because over the last two months, when I haven't been busy at work, I've been working on writing and editing my own stuff. It's exciting and terrifying and also a little sad, because I know it'll probably be at least another decade before I can quit the day job and follow the dream of being a full-time writer and freelance editor. If ever.

I'm also still writing a short story for the Confabulator Cafe each month. I've stopped submitting short stories for publication now, deciding that my time is better spent on novels at this point. I'm also relieved I put the collection on hold. Bottle Cap isn't doing a table at ConQuest anymore, which was a majority of the reason I wanted to do it in the first place. That was a solid decision.

I also started a reading blog with a fellow writer. We're doing a re-read of the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. If you want to read along with us, we do about five chapters a week. Check us out at The Paranor Review!

I feel incredibly lucky to have so many fun things I am a part of right now. True, it's exhausting, and sometimes I spend a few days introverting and goofing around without working, but those days help me recharge. I am also fortunate enough to have an amazing group of writing friends who make sure I get everything I need, from emotional support to idea sounding boards.

Living the dream, friends. Halfway to my end goal of being published by the time I'm 40, and I feel like I've made hella progress. It's been a fun ride. This year has been huge, and looks like it will continue on out of control, picking up speed, until it's a runaway train.

Rachel did promise me a Crazy Train to Awesome Town. Here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment