Thursday, December 15, 2011

Hiatus

As much as I love National Novel Writing Month, it sucks me dry every year. It's pretty normal for me to drop off the face of the planet for about two weeks afterward.

It's been two weeks. I am slowly emerging from my Nano induced coma.

This year was especially brutal because I started my Nano book right after finishing my Camp Nano book. Two books back to back wiped me clean out.

For awhile I wasn't sure if I'd ever write again.

I say that every year, of course. And I always bounce back.

So here I am. Back to what I do best.

I've already received a lot of positive feedback on Online Dating for Demons, so the consensus is I need to put the work into it and try to get it published. Part of me is terrified of that notion. Am I ready? Publishing Paralysis aside, I've never significantly edited anything before. This will be my first big novel overhaul. What if I can't do it?

I'm having my fair share of doubts, obviously, but I have an amazing group of writers supporting me through this. I know if I don't work on it, they'll get on my case until I do. And they'll keep pushing me until it's done.

The rest of this year will be spent in input and reflection mode. I have a lot of books to read, I have a handful of other people's Nano novels to enjoy and give feedback for, and I have a lot of thinking to do about Dating for Demons.

But starting next year, it's back to work.

I'll try to check in a few times before then. If I don't catch you, have very happy holidays.

3 comments:

  1. I would like to read your novel! Also, I am excited to see you for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on having writen a frist draft. The idea sounds intersting and I don't normally read fantasy. It kind of reminds me of Amber Benson's series Death's Daughter, in that it has an accessable idea to it.

    Happy Holidays and good luck editing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Chris. Aron, I'd love to have you read my novel once I clean it up a little bit. I'll see you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete