Friday, August 17, 2012

I'm All Sorts of Official Now

I've been toying with the idea of creating an author/writer page on Facebook for awhile. It seemed silly, though, since I didn't exactly have any publishing credits, and short of plugging the Confabulator Cafe and this website, I didn't have much to post about.

Now, my very first published work will be available for purchase at the end of this month (I'll share the details as soon as I have them). Also, at the rate I am submitting stories, hopefully I'll have another credit or two to add to that soon. So I thought to myself, "self, you deserve an author page, now that you've gotten a paying writing gig."

And so my official FB author page was born this week: Sara E. Lundberg.

I am up to 10 whole likes already. Woohoo!

I still need to take some time to figure out how to promote it and link it so people can find me easily, and I need to work on adding content (it's a bit naked right now), but it's a start. Oh, and eventually need to make new business cards with the FB page address. Argh! I still have over 200 from my last batch. I don't give too many out.

This whole self-promotion thing is a strange beast. It feels weird for me to do. It's against my nature, really, to brag about myself and my accomplishments. I'm not exactly modest - I'm a writer, after all, which in and of itself begs for attention - but my self confidence level isn't quite high enough to put myself out there in these ways. I have to push myself to do it, and always wonder if I'm going too far.

At any rate, that's my big news this week.

Well, actually my big big news this week was receiving payment through Paypal for my story! It was a small, token amount (I can't even buy a gallon of gas with it) but I am ridiculously excited that I got my first "paycheck" for writing. Teehee. I'm officially a paid writer.

This is really happening.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, congratulations!

    Secondly, with your permission, when your books is out, I'd be happy to do a blog post about it and put a link on my main page to your facebook / blog / whatever-other-page to help in your promotion (that seems to be the hardest part for beginning writers). I've done this for a few other writers in similar situations already, and maybe a few more people will these new books this way.

    Someday, I hope to have some short stories or poems accepted to put out there for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And while I appreciate the offer to review the book (of course you're more than welcome to if you want), it's not really my book, it's an anthology of several stories, and I just have a short 1000 word story in it. I might save the big blog post on your blog for when I have an actual book that I wrote. Thanks for the offer, though.

      Delete