Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Vacation vs. Writing Retreat

I'm on vacation in Florida this week. I was super excited to have eight days of no work or responsibility so I could get a ton of writing done.

It's been an epic failure so far.

Saturday was consumed by traveling. Sunday we had our family reunion, and at the same time my brain decided that that wasn't enough, so it gave me a migraine. I lost yesterday to sun and surf - spent most of the day at the beach and the pool. So now I only have four days left here and another day of traveling home. I'd really like to finish and post the Sally Prescott adventure I'm working on before we head back towards Kansas, but I'm starting to worry that having too much free time as a writer is worse than not having enough. Vacation is not synonymous to writing retreat, I've realized.

Although in my defense, the beach is right there. And it's the beach. It's a hard thing to resist for a native Kansan.

Although actually, if I'm honest with myself, yesterday wasn't a total loss. I didn't get any actual writing in, but I did read through an old story I started several years ago - it's hand-written and one of my projects this summer is to transcribe all of my paper stories into electronic format - and I was impressed with how well-written it was. I had forgotten almost everything about it, and I got lost in the world while I was reading. It's a good sign when a writer can enjoy something he or she has written as much as an actual book. It gave me a burst of confidence. I am actually a good writer!

However...I decided not to start typing it yet. I realized what a huge project it is going to be, and I'm not letting myself move on to a new project until the Sally Prescott story is done. If I am ever going to build my writing portfolio, I need to work on finishing what I've started. Besides, I'm still really into the Sally Prescott world, which is where I need to be in order to finish her current tale. This new/old story will be a complete changing of gears. But. I am really excited about it now. It's going to be epic.


As I am a fair-skinned Kansan with a family history of skin cancer in Florida, I am banished inside between the hours of 11am and 2pm. That gives me a good two hours before I can make my way to the pool or the beach today. I think I'll try to make the most of it and get some writing in.

Wish me luck. I think I'm going to need it. The ocean beckons...

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! However, I think "Sally Confronts the Beautiful Beach" could be a great adventure. In the name of research, enjoy the surf and sun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you're having a great time on vacation! I wanted to let you know I've deleted my two old blog posts in hopes of starting fresh. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete