Monday, August 29, 2011

And then life happens...

I love being a writer. There's nothing quite as exhilarating as spending hours pouring ideas from my head onto a blank page; watching a story unfold and characters running around doing things. I love to learn, and writing gives me ample excuse to research anything and everything for the sake of a believable story. Even sleep deprivation is worth it sometimes because as I drift off to sleep, plot holes will mend and plot points will fall into place. I love the "aha!" moment when a snag works itself out in my subconscious and bubbles to the surface. To quote one of my own characters: "The mind is an amazing thing."

The only trouble is...all of the aspects of writing - from the writing itself, to the research, to the obsessive-compulsive planning and plotting - are very time consuming. When you're not a professional writer, when it's a passion not a job, you have to sneak in time to write wherever you can cram it.

And life always seems to get in the way. I can only ignore housecleaning or errands or exercise classes or friends and family for so long before all of that violently reclaims my time and attention.

I was doing so well. I was on track to hit 50,000 words before August 31st for Camp Nanowrimo. But the past several days have been demanding my attention with a vengeance. I kept having to put off writing, and now I am about six thousand words behind.

To be honest, I could knock that out in maybe three or four hours. The trouble is, life not only kicked me in the ass, it then kicked me in the face while I was down. My head is filled with mucus and my nose/throat/eyes are burning, Wednesday is the dreaded year anniversary, my three days off this week where I was supposed to relax have somehow filled up with endless appointments and other commitments, I haven't slept more than 5 hours a night in over a week (and last night I slept maybe an hour), and there is a goddamn mouse living in my bedroom. He's not paying rent, so he's got to go. I just haven't figured out how yet.

I just can't seem to make myself care about writing with all of that going on. Even when I have the time to work.

All I can really do when this happens is hunker down and hope it passes quickly. My story has so much potential. I don't want it to go to the Nanowrimo graveyard like so many others.

2 comments:

  1. :( Thinking of your this week. Hope you feel better, too.

    You can borrow one of the cats if you need one, for the pesky mouse problem.

    If I had some extra motivation or inspiration to send, I would. Or sleep.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! I believe in you!

    ReplyDelete