Thursday, July 21, 2011

Character Auditions

As a writer, I always have voices in my head: characters who have a story to tell, or characters who want me to get to know them better so I'll find a story for them. Rarely is it the other way around. But sometimes it is. Sometimes I have a world with no people in it and it needs filling.

When this happens, I like to put a call out to friends and family for character suggestions. A casting call, if you will. It's worked really well for me in the past, so it's something I'd like to do more of from time to time. Usually it'll be for minor characters. Right now, though, I need protagonists/antagonists.

The story will be urban fantasy, since I realized in my last post that that's where my head is at. So vampires, werewolves, witches, zombies, magicians, demons - all fair game. What's a character you always wanted to see in one of those worlds that was never there? Feel free to submit yourself as a character, and what role you'd like to play. Always wanted to be a vampire? I can write you as one (disclaimer: this would be a caricature of you, so you wouldn't be allowed take offense to over-exaggerations).

So, do you have characters you'd like to audition to be in my next story?

5 comments:

  1. I would like to be a unicorn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you couldn't guess, that was me, your unicorn loving sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And by unicorn, I mean a unicorn stuck in the body of a human. I've always wanted to write a character like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, last comment. Promise. If you want to use the character I can give you more details, or you can just run with it. Whatever! Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, you have no idea how excited I am about all your comments! I'd love to use your character! I hadn't even thought about using unicorns - that's so perfect. I definitely want more details from you; I'd like to get your input before running with it.

    ReplyDelete